Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stream of Consciousness: The Daily Grind

Sometimes my lifestyle cracks me up. At this point it seems so ordinary because I am ALWAYS involved with performing and rehearsing. When I take a step back and look at it again I realize that my "everyday" is very unique. As unusual as it is, I consider the Can Can a huge part of my "everyday" environment and experiences. The obscenely cluttered dressing room, the low ceilings, the random vintage mirrors hung on the walls. I see it vacant. I see it full of people. I live most of my life under 1st avenue in this hidden venue that I had only ever seen in my head before coming upon it in real life. I always saw it in my head as I grew up. I knew that I had to perform at a cabaret. Its dark lighting and otherworldly ambiance..I saw it all before. My everyday is the market. The short man yelling about Belgium waffles outside the Pike Place Bar and Grill every morning when I go to rehearsal. We chat. He is the most full of life person I've ever seen. No matter the weather, he still addresses the crowds of tourists with the daily specials and tells them to "Come on in folks!". These are the things I see in my daily life when I take a step back. It's refreshing. My everyday is the flea market in the back corner of the Pike Place Market. I converse with the vendor of the day. They give me good prices on silly shiney things that I like. My everyday is the rain of Seattle on the cobblestones in the market..the crowds of people darting past each other. You can always tell the locals..they are the one's darting around the slow-poke tourists who have nothing else to do with their day but meander around and take their sweet time. My everyday is the crumpet shop..I would say I am a regular. I know every twist and turn of that market. I love how much character it has. I feel the most invigorated there, and knowing that I am a part of the workforce there makes it even better.

Photobucket

1 comment:

LT said...

That sounds like fun.